Sunday, December 7, 2008

Grandma Great's English Toffee

Yum! This is my first batch of Grandma Great's english toffee this Christmas. I love to remember the afternoon Jen and I spent in her kitchen learning directly from the master how to make this delicious treat, a favorite of mine for years. Probably since Ruth married Ryan 47 years ago! 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup karo syrup
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups almonds, slivered
1 lb. butter -- cut it into the pan
Boil these ingredients until the almonds are about the color of a paper bag!
Spread on a large cookie sheet.
Break a large hershey bar on top and let it melt, then smooth it all over the toffee.
Cover with chopped walnuts.
Score into squares with a pizza wheel. Let it cool overnight. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jen said...

It is the best! I wish you could come and help me make mine. I've never done it on my own.

Annie said...

Gosh, I wish I could, too. Won't you be up before Christmas? Come on over and we'll make some.

Will and Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Will and Chelsea said...

MMM... My mom is so good at making this beloved recipe! I am so excited to make it with her this season... it's about time I learn it :)